Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Hispanic and Filipino Cultures

In the majority of my blogs I have written, I have always found way to make connections between Filipino cultures, and my own Hispanic culture. That is because these two cultures are very similar. I have noticed this not only from what I have studied in class, but from personal experience as well.

My best friend is Filipino, and a large part of my childhood life was spent with his family. We would hang out , and I would often attend his family parties and he would attend mine. These occasions were frequent as his family and all its members were very close to each other. This was the same for me and my family. Food and the delicacy of laughter were often the main events to these gatherings. I would become a part of his family, and share the experience of the food. It was a great feeling of togetherness, and I was in a sense acculturated. I learned to try many new Filipino foods such as lumpia, ponset, and many delicious deserts. This whole experience however, was not so different from my own family gatherings.


Hispanic families are also very closely knitted, similar to Filipino's. Our gatherings would be frequent, and have the same theme as my friend's family gathering. We would be enriched by generally traditional Hispanic foods such as posole, tacos, and menudo. My friend would very much enjoy these delicacies. He would become a part of my family, and experience a lot of the Hispanic culture. Much of the values which are held by Filipino's, are also held by Hispanics, or vice-verse. Kapwa, the Filipino value meaning togetherness, is definitely seen in the Hispanic culture. Though it is not termed Kapwa, Hispanic togetherness is like that of Filipino togetherness. For example, if one of my family members were having money problems, my family would be more then willing to help them out. And this is something that has occurred in my family. And I have also observed this as well in my friends Filipino family.


Essentially, Filipino's and Hispanics are very similar. Their value on family and togetherness is identical. And not only can this be found in books and studies, but from my personal life I have discovered and observed this.

1 comment:

  1. I know you are still drafting this piece - I'm excited to read more. It reminds me of one of the commentators at the bookfair who asked about Pin@y/Chican@ relations. I think he was asking about political affiliations, etc. I like the tack you are taking - looking at it from a personal perspective. I'm wondering if there a resources you might check out about what might be called Mexican American ethnic identity and values? Perhaps that will help you systematize what you experience in your family and personal life. That's what I think Nadal's book is doing for the Pin@y's in the class - giving them a new way to organize and understand their reality.

    One reference is Ronald Takaki's text Different Mirror, a history book that looks at inter-ethnic, cross racial relations in America, how different ethnic/racial groups worked together. Hmmmmm. Something for next semester. We need more models like that - historical and personal ones, like the one you are unpacking for us in this blog. Hooray!

    There's more for me to think and write about . . . so I'll start my own post about inter-ethnic cooperation.

    ReplyDelete